Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Essay Topic

For my essay, I would like to talk about Moore's "How to Talk to Your Mother (Notes)". I think that the structure provides an interesting format for exploring the narrator's relationship with her mother. As she reflects on her past and how she related to her mother, she provides 'notes' that read like advice to younger girls. In fact, the story is labeled as a how-to guide. I thought this was an interesting idea since the narrator's history is less than ideal.

Within this context, I would also like to talk about the narrator's relationship with her mother and how her feelings toward her build the story goes, even though it goes backward in time. As the story evolves, the reader understands more and more about the complex relationship between the narrator and her daughter and how it has affected her life.

Other topics that I might throw in are abortion, sex, rebellion, maternity, loss, and family. We'll just see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment